Weekend Project - Building my Leopold Bench

This weekend I was at the local hardware store early in the morning and was able to get some discounted lumber for Really cheap and most of it was surprisingly straight!  Once I got it all home I decided I had everything I needed to build a Leopold Bench - especially since we are in desperate need of seating in our yard.  The best part about a Leopold Bench is they are incredibly easy to build, as the wise man Michael Scott once said - keep it simple, stupid.

Untreated Lumber:
(1) - 2" x 8" x 10' - for Legs
(1) - 2" x 12" x 36" - for Seat
(1) - 2" x 12" x 39" - for Back
Hardware:
(6) - 3/8" Carriage Bolts 3 1/2" Long
(6) - 3/8" Washers
(6) - 3/8" Nuts
(10) - Deck Screws 3" Long
Tools:
Electric Drill
Circular Saw (or hand saw)
Measuring Tape
Pencil
Speed Square
3/8" Spade Bit
1/8" Drill Bit (or Counter Sink Bit)
Phillips Bit
   Optional:
      Sawhorse
      Clamps
      Sandpaper
      Stain/Paint

 To the right is a list of the lumber, hardware and tools I used to build the bench.

Since I do not have a sawhorse (I plan on building one some day) I used a couple pallets instead, also I do not have clamps wide enough for this project so I made do without - however, I would recommend using clamps if you have them.

Here are the steps I took (photos are below):
  1. First the legs - I placed the 2" x 8" board on a pallet and made pencil marks at 33, 66, 85 and 102 inches. 
    Then I used a speed square to make a 60 degree angle at each of the 4 marks and from the top corner of the board so all ends are cut at a 60 degree angle.  (A)  To make a 60 deg. angle with the speed square, use the 30 deg. mark since the square is already at a 90 deg. angle.  Cut the board with a circular or hand saw.  (B)
  2. Assemble the legs - Since I used pallets as a work bench and I needed a good straight edge as a guide, I decided to screw a couple straight boards to the bottom of the pallet so I could rest the 'feet' of the bench against the flat surface. (C)
    Since I forgot to buy bigger clamps I stood on the boards while I drilled 3 holes through the legs with a 3/8" spade bit.  I made sure to set the boards in the right direction before drilling, and marked left/right for easy assembly.  The shorter boards should be on the insides of the bench to hold up the seat. (D) (E)
    After drilling the boards, I pushed the carriage bolts through both boards and tightened down with some 3/8" washers and nuts making sure the head of the bolts are on the outside of the seat.  I used zinc plated hardware because it is what I had available however, if you are going to buy new hardware and have access to it - I would purchase hot-dip galvanized steel hardware since it will hold up to the weather much better.  (F) (G)
  3. Build the seat - I set the 2x12 board on a pallet, measured 36" and made a straight cut with a rotary saw.  Then, with help from the kids we set the 2x12 on the two previously assembled leg pieces.  Once we had the seat lined up, I set 6 deck screw through the top of the seat into the short leg pieces - 3 on each side. (H)
  4. Build the back rest - I made a cut about 3" in to the tops of the long legs using a speed square so the back would be vertical. (I)
    Then I cut a 2x6 board at 39" and attached it with 4 deck screws - 2 on each side.  The piece I used for the back was older wood and is a bit rough but once I sand and stain, it will all look the same. (J)
Simple! Now all I need to do is sand and stain it - I will post an update once that is done...
Here are the photos:
(A)

 
(B)

(C)
 
(D)
 
(E)
 
(F)

(G)
 
(H)
 
(I)
 
(J)
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment