Quail Coop Construction - Part Two

With a little help from our feline friend Princess Buttercup I continued on with the quail coop project...


I framed a divider in the center of the coop so we can have two separate pens, for this I used some scrap OSB board from a previous project. We hope to put two stages of birds outside and have one brooder box which is kept elsewhere, probably in the house for chicks.

The Coop (or Pen) is 24" tall at the lowest point which is more than enough head space for quail so to try and gain some floor space I decided to add a shelf or 'second floor' half way up and about 12" deep and across the length of the back. I used some heavy 7-ply I found on a job and 2x2s for support legs.
shelf for more square footage

Bear with me as I jump around during this build, I guess that's how my brain works... Next I added the 1/2" mesh to the doors I built. After hanging one door with two hinges I realized I needed to add stops in the frame so the door doesn't swing in too far.


I attached the door to make sure it fit, then made a latch out of a scrap piece of wood.

Next I removed the doors so I can paint them easily and continued with adding 1/2" hardware cloth on the sections of the coop that are going to be open.

I decided to keep the sides closed in with some plywood to protect the quail from too much of a draft in the cool months. For this I used more of the 7-ply and a couple sanded 1x2s for the edge.
Here is another view from the side, I added another 1x2 trim piece to the front where the OSB divider is.
Next I need to add some paint, roof panels, a watering system, dust bath and Quail!!

Part 3 Coming Soon!!
Back to Part One

0 comments:

Post a Comment