Quail Coop Construction - Part One

After we made the decision to raise quail for eggs and meat I began building the coop.  Luckily I work in construction so I am able to pick up scrap lumber that would otherwise be trashed or recycled, this is my most recent score that got me started:
I started with a basic rectangular frame using 4x4s for the legs which I placed on top of pieces of concrete and a 4x3 for the base front to support the mid-section weight.  I attached the structure to the existing chicken run.
I made a pitch in the roof.
I was making it up as I went and decided to put two doors on the front and possibly a divider in the center to make 2 separate pens..?
More roof support beams and 1/2" hardware cloth along the bottom:
The only lumber I actually purchased was two eight foot 2x2s so I could make the doors:
Next I framed out the doors.  We also made the final decision to separate the coop into two pens so we can have two stages of birds in the one structure.  So I added some support 2x4s in the center to hold the separating board: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment