Building the Chicken Coop - How we did it - Part 2

After building the basic structure of our coop (see part 1) it was time to start building the smaller details like floor boards, double-doors, chicken door, roof and nesting boxes.   Still a lot of work to do and having a day job made the process that much more drawn out.
Some digging around in a pile of junk left by the previous owners, I found wood slats held together by black metal brackets, I'm thinking they were part of a hot tub..?  No matter what they were made for originally, they were Perfect for my chicken ramp - I screwed them to a couple 2X4s and it was ready to go!
Next, the nesting boxes!
I started by attaching some 2X4s for the base of the nesting box.  I ran the two outer boards about 12" under the coop and attached them to the two floor boards I previously installed.  This gave it some extra support since the box is going to be big and heavy!

I jumped off the nesting boxes and threw in the other two floor boards, then I continued framing out the rest of the nesting box with as many scrap pieces of 2X4 I could find.

As you can see in the photos above, we made 4 nesting boxes and cut some 2X4s at an angle for the lid to rest on.  By the time we reached this stage we were out of our $1 2X4s and on a budget so I began cutting a few corners.  Instead of using plywood as originally planned, I purchased OSB board which was much cheaper, it just meant we needed lots of paint!
One thing I should have done is turned the roof boards on end so they wont bow as much over time, but oh well... The chickens won't notice.
On with the OSB board!



At this point of construction, the kids were really excited and running around, making fort plans!
Before I ran out of OSB I decided to build the double doors.  When I framed the double doors into the wall, I just picked a width and figured I would build the doors based on my jam dimensions.
I built a basic frame for the doors out of 2X4s and cut some OSB to fit.  I made the doors about 1" shorter than the opening, I probably should have done 1/2"  to 3/4" because later I had to add thick weather stripping to close the gap.

Now it's getting there!!
Check out Part Three to see how it all turns out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment