Weekend Project - Chicken Feed, Scratch and Treat Housing


After finishing our coop and having the chickens for a month we quickly realized we would need a good place to store our chicken feed, scratch and treats.  I looked online for a good outdoor storage container but they were mostly made of plastic and all very expensive.

After scratching my head for a few minutes in the back yard I remembered seeing a busted two-step stair case the previous owners had left from their hot tub that was removed.  It is a nice stained pine and the wood was in great shape - perfect as a start to my chicken tack shanty, and best of all - it's free!!




I started by rounding up some child labor for the dismantling process...








I removed the two 'steps' and attached them to each other for the base of the structure.
Next I pulled off the long pieces that held the stair rail along with a few other scrap 2X4s to build the frame that will hold the roof.  
I used the same angle the original stair railing had and cut a few other boards to match.
Then I added a scrap piece of OSB board for a roof and tacked a few leftover roof shingles on top.  Eventually I will add a few walls, but for now, this will do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment